Teachers from across the state speak in support of Occupy LAUSD and demand change in education
On Saturday, October 22, at 4:30 p.m., teachers from across California will walk from the California Teachers Association (CTA) conference at the Bonaventure Hotel to speak and rally at the site of the Occupy LAUSD encampment in front of LAUSD headquarters.
Speakers will include teacher union presidents from across the state as well as the California Nurses Association. The Occupy LAUSD movement is aligned with the Occupy Wall St and Occupy LA movements in their belief that society needs to prioritize and support the 99%. Children must come before money. Currently the richest 1% is driving education policy, and this must change. Speakers will emphasize the following:
- Tax the 1% to fully fund schools for our students. Profits are soaring and tax payments are falling for the richest 1% at a time when teachers are being laid off and our children are being stuffed into over-crowded classrooms. Everyone must pay their fair share to educate our children.
- By the 99%. For the 99%. Keep our public schools public! We reject the premise that the 1% billionaires – Bill Gates and Eli Broad- should be allowed to seize our public schools by buying seats on school boards that dismantle our schools, lay off thousands of teachers, and then award dozens of public schools to private charters, while denying teachers collective bargaining rights.
- Democratic community-based schools: Not corporate Wall St. reform. We stand with the 99%: children, parents and teachers who yearn for quality education for all. All stakeholders must be part of the education process and not just the wealthy few who can afford it. Bill Gates and Eli Broad should not be more powerful than all of the parents in Los Angeles.
Occupy LAUSD began on Tuesday, October 18, when hundreds of teachers and community members marched from Occupy LA to LAUSD’s Beaudry headquarters. The group has now been camped outside of LAUSD headquarters for 4 days.
- WHAT: March from Bonaventure Hotel to “Occupy LAUSD”; rally at LAUSD
- WHEN: Saturday, October 22, 2011, 4:30 p.m.
- WHERE: Start: Westin Bonaventure Hotel (404 S. Figueroa St. LA, 90071)
End: “Occupy LAUSD” at LAUSD headquarters 333 S. Beaudry Ave. 90017
Contact Jose Lara at 323-500-0232 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional details.