In some parts of the country, the words “Nancy Pelosi” and “Barbara Boxer” are dirty words. They symbolize divisiveness, alienation, big government, taxes. All over the country people are giving Tea Parties so they can socialize over crumpets and vent their anger about Pelosi and Boxer and their San Francisco values.
For shepherding an agenda that seeks to restore the checks and balances proscribed by The Constitution, and which were in place before they were eviscerated by Bush Jr’s legions, Pelosi is being attacked as “unfair” and “disrespectful.”
We should not dignify these complaints with any response other than, “So?” Republicans have played very dirty for the past 10 years, and have come close to destroying our justice system. We have barely survived their efforts to consolidate the three branches of government into one, and now they complain that our girls are being mean. So? These guys dragged “partisan” politics to new lows, laughed and taunted anyone who opposed their draconian agenda, and won elections through lies, distortion and destruction.
For the record, let’s define and clarify the ” San Francisco values” that has “the minority party” in such a snit:
- -The Constitution must be honored and protected.
- -Separation of church and state are good – the other way didn’t work, so the colonies revolted!
- -Science is good – Global warming and other environmental issues must be addressed.
- -Tolerance and diversity are good – exclusion and persecution based on religion or lifestyle are bad.
- -Education and medical care are a birthright of ALL American citizens – not just the privileged.
- -Commerce is good, but must be regulated to prevent more Enrons & Goldman Sachs.
- -Evolution probably happened – no one who remembers is still around.
- -Religion is great for sustaining the spirit, but not as a political blueprint.
- -Religion is a matter of personal choice; not to be dictated by the “majority.”
- -Bush Jr. was a divider, not a “decider.”
- -A strong military is good; misuse of military resources is bad.
- -War is bad – especially when its motivation is political vanity.
- -”Love Thy Neighbor” – c’mon y’all don’t laugh, “Religion is great . . .”, remember?
Scott Prostermanis a music, film and dance historian in Berkeley. He worked as a disc jockey in Pittsburgh and Memphis, where he grew up and where it all began. He was born in the 50s, grew up in the 60s, thrived in the 70s, barely survived the 80s, and re-grouped in the 90s.