Please join us on Tuesday, May 17th, from 5:00pm – 6:30pm, for DAs on the Frontier of Change: In Conversation with Melina Abdullah.
Join BLM-LA’s Melina Abdullah as she guides a discussion with 4 District Attorneys on the frontier of change.
District Attorneys Chesa Boudin, George Gascón, and Larry Krasner and State’s Attorney Kimberly Foxx were all elected by a majority of voters because they promised change.
They ran campaigns vowing to change how their offices approached public safety for all and they delivered - ending death sentences, shrinking the bail system, reducing prosecutions, and more.
Since taking office, each of these attorneys implemented changes the voters wanted for years. As a result, each has faced hurdles, pushback, and even recall elections. Take a look:
- Kimberly Foxx - An Illinois state representative introduced a bill in April to authorize a recall against Illionios State’s Attorney Kim Foxx for creating “a crisis of confidence in the Cook County judicial system.”
- Chesa Boudin - On June 7, San Francisco voters will vote on Prop H, deciding whether to keep DA Boudin in office.
- George Gascón - In Los Angeles, an effort to recall DA George Gascón is gathering more signatures by the day. The stakes couldn't be higher. Voters will be tasked with deciding between forward-thinking, data-driven policies—created to address inequality and injustice—and draconian, wasteful, and racist policies that wreak havoc on our communities.
- Larry Krasner - In Philadelphia, progressive DA Larry Krasner successfully thwarted efforts to put an end to the progressive prosecution movement.
Hear why these District Attorneys’ policy changes matter, the pushback they’re encountering, the state of the SF and LA recalls, and how you can help defeat efforts to roll back progress.
Tuesday, May 17
5:00pm – 6:30pm
Zoom RSVP LINK: aclusocal.co/DAsforchange
Moderator: Melina Abdullah, BLM-LA
- Chesa Boudin, San Francisco District Attorney
- Kim Foxx, Cook County State’s Attorney
- George Gascón, Los Angeles County District Attorney
- Larry Krasner, Philadelphia District Attorney
Cosponsored by: ACLU of Northern California • ACLU of Southern California • ACLU SoCal Pasadena/Foothills Chapter • Black Lives Matter - LA • Initiate Justice Action • Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace (ICUJP) • LA Progressive • LA Voice Action • Prosecutors Alliance California • SEIU 2015 • Smart Justice California
Hope to see you there!!