Skip to main content

Prop. 61 Will Be A Disaster For Big Pharma’s Profit Margin

Felonious Ax: We in Big Pharma are very proud of our freedom to gouge consumers. Therefore, we can’t sit by and allow an initiative to pass that would curtail our self-expression!

Hi, it’s your pal Felonius Ax of Billionaires for Pharmaceutical Fearmongering here to warn you about a Prop. 61, California’s ballot measure which would restrict what California pays for prescription drugs to the rates the Veterans Administration pays for them. We in Big Pharma are very proud of our freedom to gouge consumers. Therefore, we can’t sit by and allow an initiative to pass that would curtail our self-expression!

Prop. 61 Will Be A Disaster For Big Pharma’s Profit Margin—Felonious Ax

Prop. 61 Will Be A Disaster For Big Pharma’s Profit Margin—Felonious Ax

We in Big Pharma are very proud of our freedom to gouge consumers. Therefore, we can’t sit by and allow an initiative to pass that would curtail our self-expression!

So we are spending upwards of $122 million to defeat Prop. 61. Let’s imagine the hellscape that would ensue if the measure passed and other states started following California’s lead. State after state will start saving billions of dollars that would previously have been funneled into our coffers. They’ll probably use that money to expand healthcare to their citizens. And healthier citizens use fewer prescription drugs! Before long, America would be no better than Canada, which uses the economy of scale to bargain with us for much lower prescription drug rates. Our investors will be forced to cut corners. We won’t be able to purchase that 12th mansion or that 7th yacht!

We’re telling consumers that if the measure passes, the lower prices will only benefit the 12% of Californians who receive their prescription drugs from the state, and not mentioning that it will also benefit the other 88% of Californians whose taxes foot the bill for those people. We’re also saying that if the measure passes, drug prices will go up – of course they will, because we’ll be raising them to punish you for your efforts to curb our overweening greed!

Scroll to Continue

Recommended Articles

We’re like thugs in the Protection Racket. “Hey, you got a nice place here! It would be a shame if someone didn’t pay us off and something bad happened to it!”

Our ads show veterans groups speaking out against the measure. How’d we get them to do that? Easy. We wrote a big donation to those self-same veterans groups. Our ads show actors portraying doctors claiming that the measure will hurt their patients.

And we hope that the endless barrage of newspaper, TV and radio ads and billboards will fool enough of you to vote against your self-interest and for ours!

clifford felonious ax tasner

We even wrote a song about our strategy! It’s called “What’s Best For You

Felonius Ax
(aka Clifford J. Tasner)