Trump’s budget is out, his Trumpcare bill is introduced, and between them they are astonishingly stupid and promise-breaking. Featured are just a small sample of these job-killing aspects:
- The American Healthcare Act (Trumpcare), if enacted, will eliminate 23,000 jobs just in my state, Oregon. The national implications are horrific, in job loss and in healthcare loss—as well as sharp increases in premiums for at least the next two years—for example, senior citizens in Alaska may see a rise in annual healthcare insurance premiums of more than $14,000. I wonder if they are still thrilled about giving their electoral college votes to Trump?
- The Trump budget, if passed, would cut enormous numbers of civil service jobs, including scores of thousands by the elimination of 19 federal agencies and slashing the budgets for many others.
- Increasing the Pentagon budget will create fewer jobs per $billion spent than in any other sector of the economy. Each $billion that goes to DoD is job loss for even more Americans.
Between the two Trump proposals, several key promises that he made to help convince gullible Americans to vote for him will be broken:
- The Congressional Budget Office predicts that under Trumpcare 24 million Americans will lose health insurance, contrary to Trump’s unbelievable promise that everyone will be able to get health insurance. He lied.
- “I’m not going to cut Social Security like every other Republican and I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid,” Trump said as he campaigned making glib promises to everybody. The Trumpcare proposal cuts Medicaid. He lied.
Trump will completely eliminate these agencies, getting rid of some of the most forward-thinking US federal programs:
- The African Development Foundation;
- the Appalachian Regional Commission;
- the Chemical Safety Board;
- the Corporation for National and Community Service;
- the Corporation for Public Broadcasting;
- the Delta Regional Authority;
- the Denali Commission;
- the Institute of Museum and Library Services;
- the Inter-American Foundation;
- the U.S. Trade and Development Agency;
- the Legal Services Corporation;
- the National Endowment for the Arts;
- the National Endowment for the Humanities;
- the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation;
- the Northern Border Regional Commission;
- the Overseas Private Investment Corporation;
- the United States Institute of Peace;
- the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness; and
- the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
But Trumpcare4rich will be the actual result of his collection of proposals, featuring:
- $900 billion in tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans.
Tom H. Hastings
Founding Director of PeaceVoice