The Intercollegiate Departments of Africana Studies, Asian American Studies, and Chicana/o Latina/o Studies at the Claremont Colleges unequivocally denounce the anti-Black, anti-Indigenous, anti-Central American, and homophobic comments made by three Los Angeles City Council members and an official representing the County Federation of Labor recently made public by the Los Angeles Times.
The elected officials, Latina/o leaders in the Los Angeles City Council, have let us down and should face consequences for their actions. While the individuals who made these dehumanizing comments should be held accountable, these remarks are not isolated incidents and should not be treated as such. The racist attitudes and beliefs revealed in their comments perpetuate the projects of white supremacy and Mestizaje in the US and Latin America which have been used to subjugate Black, Indigenous, and other communities of color. Indeed, they reflect enduring white supremacist and heterosexist paradigms that have created, maintained, and perpetuated hierarchies of power and privilege in ways that reproduce the status quo and erode decades-long efforts to build solidarity among communities of color.
Comments that reinforce historic legacies of racism and hierarchies of power run counter to the educational mission and ethos of the Intercollegiate Departments of Africana Studies, Asian American Studies, and Chicana/o Latina/o Studies at the Claremont Colleges. We stand in solidarity with the communities and individuals who have been attacked by these vicious comments and the violent systems of inequality that they uphold.
- Rita Cano Alcalá, Scripps College
- Guadalupe A. Bacio, Pomona College
- Martha Gonzalez, Scripps College
- Sharon Goto, Chair, Intercollegiate Department of Asian American Studies, Pomona College
- Laura Harris, Chair, Intercollegiate Department of Africana Studies, Pitzer College
- Carla Macal, Pitzer College
- Oscar Marquez, Pomona College
- Magally Miranda, Pitzer College
- Gilda L. Ochoa, Chair, Intercollegiate Department of Chicana/o Latina/o Studies, Pomona College
- Soham Patel, Pitzer College
- Suyapa Portillo Villeda, Pitzer College
- Tomás Summers Sandoval, Pomona College
- Miguel Tinker Salas, Pomona College
- Arely Zimmerman, Pomona College