Monday, 6 November 2017
Dear Mr President,
I keep hearing about senior State Department positions unfilled, and I figured that was just Rachel Maddow propaganda. But I checked State’s hiring web-page, and it’s true. What’s wrong with Tillerson?
A lot of the vacancies are the kind of liberal-hoax PC stuff that you and Rex have obviously decided to save money on:
- Coordinator of Civil Society and Emerging Democracies
- Ambassador-at-Large of Global Women’s Issues
- Special Advisor for International Disability Rights
- Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom
- Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBT Persons
- Special Representative for the Environment and Water Resources
- Transparency Coordinator
- Representative to UN Human Rights Council
OK, so who cares?
But other holes may explain why Rex keeps shrugging his shoulders.
- Remember when Xi Jinping explained that China and Korea had a history, going back to before you were born. (It’s a joke in both places now – called “Teaching the Dotard”.) There used to be guys at State who knew things like that. No more.
There’s no current Chief of Protocol either. This is the guy who instructs you on how to greet officials and warns you about actions that might be offensive to your hosts – like, say, throwing things at crowds or patting Xi Jinping’s wife of the buttocks.
- Aren’t you going to summits of the Southeast Asia Nations and the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Nations? But there is no current representative to the former, and the Assistant Secretary for East Asian and Pacific Affairs is a temp. Wouldn’t experienced people in those positions be able to keep you from saying something stupid? Not that you would, but still . . .
- There’s no current Chief of Protocol either. This is the guy who instructs you on how to greet officials and warns you about actions that might be offensive to your hosts – like, say, throwing things at crowds or patting Xi Jinping’s wife of the buttocks. I know you’re old friends, but . . .
- The Assistant Secretary for Diplomatic Security is just an acting guy too. Does the name “Bengazi” ring any bells?
- And a whole bunch of experts on specific issues – Economic Cooperation, Threat Reduction, Security Negotiations, Cyber Issues, Political-Military Affairs, Nuclear Proliferation – don’t exist at the upper levels. Are you sure it’s going to be all golf and dinners, or might the talk veer unexpectedly into substance?
And finally, there’s no current Coordinator of Sanctions Policy – despite that bill Congress made you sign into law. You do know that Putin is going to show up at the East Asia summit, right? What do you think he wants to talk about? Adoptions?
Received by the White House at 3:19 AM EST, 6 November 2017